At Swedbrand, we are always striving to offer our customers the best option possible when it comes to packaging, trying to reduce our carbon footprint. With us you have the chance to choose natural products and contribute to the reduction of green-house gas emissions and post-consumer waste.
This month, we are pleased to announce the launch of a new bio-based lamination, made from renewable raw materials: PLA bio-based resin. Our bio-based films can replace oil-based plastics like polypropylene, polyester or polyethylene, providing two advantages essential for the environment: bio-based origin and compostability.
But what does bio-plastic mean?
The material is wholly or partially derived from biomass. Biomass used for bioplastic is usually corn, sugar cane or cellulose.
Biodegradability is an inherent property of certain polymers. Biodegradation is a chemical process in which materials, with the help of microorganisms, are metabolized to water, carbon dioxide, and biomass.
And when can a product be considered compostable?
A product is considered “compostable” when it can be placed into a composition of decaying biodegradable materials, and eventually turns into a nutrient-rich material. It is almost synonymous with “biodegradable”, except it is limited to solid materials and does not refer to liquids.Composting occurs in nature every day as fallen leaves and tree limbs biodegrade into the forest floor.
Under the right conditions, this process takes approximately 180 days. About 50% of all domestic waste comprises organic material, a percentage that is set to grow in the future owing to the growing popularity of biodegradable products
The PLA Lifecycle:
- Plants grow by photo-synthesis, absorbing CO2from the air, minerals and water from the soil and the energy from the sun;
- The starch and sugar content of the plantsis converted into lactic acid by microorganisms;
- Lactic acid is polymerizedand becomes poly-lactic acid (PLA);
- PLA is extruded into film and becomes flexible packaging;
- Flexible sustainable packaging is composted into CO2, water and biomass;
- Biomass is absorbed by plants, and the cycle continues.
Properties of bio-based film:
- Very strong seal
- Transparency and gloss
- Good printability
- Good aroma barrier
- Alcohol, fat and oil resistat
- Paper-like dead fold
- Excellent twist
- Industrial Composting – temperature > 58°C, presence of microorganism
- Incineration – 100% combustible, can be transformed into clean energy
- Mechanical Recycling – can be reused after grinding, re-crystallization and re-granulation
- Chemical Recycling – can be converted back into lactic acid, purified, and polymerized again into PLA resin
- Landfill – not biodegradable in non-active, sealed landfills because these conditions are not conducive.
At Swedbrand Group we want our work to have a positive impact not only on our clients and the people we work with, but also on the world we live in.
We believe the world becomes a brighter place with beautifully made products, at the same time; we take responsibility to take care of the world we are operating in. Not only do we strive to be your first choice when it comes to retail solutions, but also we want to be your number one ethically responsible supplier.
Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us for more information about our products and services. We are looking forward to hearing from you!
“Try to leave the Earth a better place than when you arrived.”– Sidney Sheldon